Resolutions* of an Insomniac
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Mind and Body:
- Finish reading books about procrastination.
- Get bifocals.
- Get hearing tested.
- Get in bed by 10:00.
- Lose 10 lbs for good.
- Eat more vegetables.
- Ride my bike more than I drive.
- Obsess less, mute the inner critic, try not to should on myself so often.
Seek more moments of pure non-analytical awareness.
- Attend Thursday Eucharist 1x/mo.
- Walk the labyrinth.
- Light candles at home.
- Wear a cross in public.
- Keep a Holy Lent.
- Finish legal paperwork; plan funeral.
Take and receive O Lord, my entire liberty,
my memory, my understanding my will.
All that I am and have you have given to me.
and I give it all back to you to be disposed of according to your will.
Give me only support of your presence and the joy of your love;
with these I shall be more than rich,
and desire nothing more.
- Get in touch with old friends.
- Get to know my neighbors, then ask them to keep their dog from barking.
- Feed the poor, visit the sick, seek shelter from the wicked.
- Get the kid to face his issues.
- Turn the other cheek until head spins
- Detach from the insanity around me.
- Buy noise cancelling headphones.
Tell the truth but tell it slant.
Environment: Personal and Political:
- Organize clutter.
- Frame artwork.
- Transfer cassettes to MP3.
- Sort stuff in closets and cabinets.
- Work on sewing projects.
- Clean garage.
- Get out into nature.
- Coordinate improved workplace recycling.
- Attend peace vigils
- Help elect Obama.
When all else fails, laugh and lower my standards.
Life’s too mysterious, don’t take it serious.
*resolution, from Latin resolvere, to loosen, release.
Barb Levy has been at St. Paul’s since about 1991, where she serves as thurifer and webmaster.