Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Resolutions of an Insomniac:

by Barb Levy

Resolutions* of an Insomniac
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.

Mind and Body:

  • Finish reading books about procrastination.
  • Get bifocals.
  • Get hearing tested.
  • Get in bed by 10:00.
  • Lose 10 lbs for good.
  • Eat more vegetables.
  • Ride my bike more than I drive.
  • Obsess less, mute the inner critic, try not to should on myself so often.

Seek more moments of pure non-analytical awareness.

Spirit:

  • Attend Thursday Eucharist 1x/mo.
  • Walk the labyrinth.
  • Light candles at home.
  • Wear a cross in public.
  • Keep a Holy Lent.
  • Finish legal paperwork; plan funeral.

Take and receive O Lord, my entire liberty,
my memory, my understanding my will.
All that I am and have you have given to me.
and I give it all back to you to be disposed of according to your will.
Give me only support of your presence and the joy of your love;
with these I shall be more than rich,
and desire nothing more.

Relationships:

  • Get in touch with old friends.
  • Get to know my neighbors, then ask them to keep their dog from barking.
  • Feed the poor, visit the sick, seek shelter from the wicked.
  • Get the kid to face his issues.
  • Turn the other cheek until head spins
  • Detach from the insanity around me.
  • Buy noise cancelling headphones.

Tell the truth but tell it slant.

Environment: Personal and Political:

  • Organize clutter.
  • Frame artwork.
  • Transfer cassettes to MP3.
  • Sort stuff in closets and cabinets.
  • Work on sewing projects.
  • Clean garage.
  • Get out into nature.
  • Coordinate improved workplace recycling.
  • Attend peace vigils
  • Help elect Obama.

When all else fails, laugh and lower my standards.















Life’s too mysterious, don’t take it serious.

*resolution, from Latin resolvere, to loosen, release.

Barb Levy has been at St. Paul’s since about 1991, where she serves as thurifer and webmaster.

No comments: